After a long flight, initially delayed by a few mechanical issues, followed by 6 hour stop-over in Singapore, we were finally emerged into the chaos of Kathmandu. Bobby felt right at home, reminding us that it was just like Albania.
We met up with Jangbu Sherpa, who we have been climbing with for many years, including Everest, Cho Oyu and Ama Dablam. It was a difficult greeting, in different circumstances, but as the quintessential professional, he held his composure, unlike Sharon and I. It is comforting that he will be with us for Bobby’s expedition.
Out of respect, we have made the decision to not go into Everest Base Camp, and have made the necessary modifications to the itinerary. There are not a lot of changes, and Bobby still has the opportunity to view Everest from the phenomenal view point of Kala Patar (5550m) followed by a climb of Island Peak (6189m).
Bobby has been gracious and very respectful of the situation here in Nepal, and has also past on his condolences to Ankaji’s family, and acknowledged the loss of 15 other great men. He has also requested a Nepalese flag to accompany him to the top of Island Peak.
From here we move forth. Today is an opportunity for final preparation and gear checks, as we are scheduled on the first flight out to Lukla tomorrow morning. This is when the true adventure begins. We have allowed for flexibility, and have incorporated numerous contingency days if needed.
We look forward to keeping everyone informed of our progress. This will be a true and accurate account of the journey, including the good and bad days, as Bobby wants his journey responsibly and honestly documented.
Until tomorrow, bye for now.